Deciding between parquet and laminate flooring can be a difficult one. Both have their pros and cons, and it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. In this blog post, we will take a look at the differences between these two types of flooring and help you decide which is best for you!
Parquet flooring is a beautiful and timeless choice for your home. It is made of hardwood and can be very expensive, but it is a very high-quality flooring option that will last for many years. Parquet flooring can be stained or painted to match any decor, and it is also very easy to clean and maintain.
There are two main types of parquet: Engineered wood (also known as hardwood) and solid wood planks. The engineered wooden board has been made by combining various layers which makes them more durable than solid-wood options. They are also pre-finished so they don’t require any further treatment. Solid wood planks, on the other hand, come in unfinished varieties that you will need to stain and seal yourself. This can be a bit more difficult but it will give you more control over the finished look of your flooring.
Parquet can be a great choice if you are looking for a luxurious and elegant look for your home. However, it can be difficult to install and is not as durable as other flooring options. If you are thinking about installing parquet flooring in your home, be sure to consult with a professional installer to make sure the job is done correctly.
One downside of parquet flooring is that it can be difficult to repair if it becomes damaged. If you are not comfortable doing repairs yourself, you may need to hire a professional to do it for you, which can add to the cost. Additionally, parquet flooring can be quite slippery when wet, so you may want to avoid using it in bathrooms or kitchens.
If you are considering installing parquet flooring in your home, be sure to consult with a professional installer. Parquet is a beautiful and timeless choice for your home, but it can be difficult to install and is not as durable as other flooring options.
What else is important to know before parquet flooring?
- Parquet breathes – expands when it is hot, shrinks when it is cold. Therefore, in extreme climates, we may want to rethink parquet as a choice
- They are a few processes you can apply on the parquet, such as smoking – exposing the wood to oxidizing substances that accelerate its aging and then painting it. A parquet that undergoes smoking is painted to a depth of a few millimeters. Then it is possible to sand / renew it without losing the color.
- Although it is more expensive, it has gained a lot of popularity recently. In one of the leading chains we spoke to, it was estimated that about 40-45 percent of the customers who purchase flooring choose wood parquet.
Laminate flooring is a cheaper alternative to parquet flooring, but it is still a high-quality option that will last for many years. Laminate flooring is made of synthetic materials and comes in a variety of styles and colors. It is also very easy to clean and maintain.
The biggest downside though is that laminate flooring is much less durable than parquet flooring. It can scratch and dent more easily, and it is not as resistant to moisture. This means that it is not a good choice for bathrooms or kitchens.
Although with the right maintenance it can last for many years. Additionally, laminate is much easier to install than parquet flooring and is more affordable. That way you can save not only on the flooring itself but also on the installation.
Overall, laminate flooring is a great option if you are looking for an affordable solution that still looks good in your home. However, laminate is not as durable as parquet and it cannot be stained or painted.
What else is important to know before buying laminate flooring?
- It cannot be polished or renewed like Parquet and is less insulated from wood noise. Its appearance is flatter.
- Usually, laminate will only come in the form of planks (you can choose the width of the plank).
- Laminate flooring is a convenient choice for homes where small children or animals are raised (or both) because it can be repaired by piece – replace one or two boards, and thanks to the simple installation method sometimes it can even be done independently.
So, which is the best flooring option for your home? If you are looking for a high-quality, durable floor that will last for many years, then parquet flooring is the perfect choice. However, if you are on a budget and want a beautiful floor that is easy to maintain, then laminate flooring is the best option. Whichever flooring option you choose, we hope that you will be happy with your decision.